Friday, May 8, 2015

It's Been a While...

Hello again! Since my previous blog, "A Beautiful Oblivion," went into retirement over the past three years, I have had an incredible ride. Life as I know it since August of 2012 (in a nutshell):

 
1. September 2012: My sister gave birth to ANOTHER perfect human being, Tessa Mary Hass. She is a total Beckwith girl; a tom boy, a risk taker, a snuggler...

2. September 2013: GETTING MARRIED to an amazing man and changing my name to "Mrs. Molly Ludlow." Nice ring to it, eh?
3. January 2014: My contract with Saucony was renewed through 2016, and I will continue my professional track & field career with their expertise and support. I could not have asked for a better company to work for.

4. April 2014: My new hubby and I move an hour north from Bloomington to Indianapolis and purchase a high-rise condo right in the heart of downtown. We are loving this new chapter of our life together!

5. June- August 2014: My professional track season is in full swing again, as I place third in the 800 meters at the USA Championships in Sacramento, CA. I raced all summer in Europe, and came home with a personal best time in the 1500 meters of 4:07.88 as well as a Top 10 world-ranking in the 800 meters for 2014.

6. February 2015: My sister-in-law, Robin welcomes her first child and it is my THIRD time as an auntie. Welcome Samson Glenn Ludlow to the world!
Samson sporting the onesie I purchased for him on a trip this year to Australia :)

7. May 2015: My sister is due with her third baby, a boy, and I am anxiously awaiting his arrival any day now!

All these babies entering the world makes me anxious to have my own children...but my day will come. There is some track business to attend to before that chapter starts!!!

Blue Sky Days will be my new blog name, and this name has great meaning to me. Over the span of my 27 years, my family has always looked forward to those clear blue sky days in Worthington, Ohio. We didn't have the pleasure of cloudless skies very often in the midwest, but when we had them, my Dad made sure we acknowledged it. When my sister or I would come down with the flu, my Dad would say, "Go sit outside and the sun will make you better." When my Ohio Premier Club team (soccer) lost in the State Championship game, my Dad would say "It's a blue sky day...get over it." And when my Dad walked over to me after tearing my ACL for the second time, realizing my soccer career would be cut shorter than I ever dreamed, he said, "Blue sky Mol." It became a phrase that took the place of "remember how beautiful your life is," and to this day we still use it to remind ourselves how lucky we are in our lives.  What I have learned being a professional track and field athlete is how rewarding, intriquing, rare, and amazing this profession is. I have also learned that it is inconsistent, painful, disappointing, and tragic. Sometimes, those negative feelings towards the sport find themselves at the forefront, especially when I have set-backs in training, injury, or disappointing races. My husband always bring this to my attention when I come home excited about a break-through work out or race. "Last week at this time you were crying about ____." He is right! This sport has taken me through so many twists and turns the last 5 years, and my goal is to get to a place of "equilibrium." Blue sky days will remind me of this place when I start to lose my cool.

I just returned from The World Relays in Nassau, Bahamas. I competed with Team USA in the 4X800 relay and we won Gold, and broke the American Record. You can watch it here:



 It was without a doubt the most fun I have ever had. Jogging our victory lap with the American flag draped over my shoulders was an unforgettable experience. It the following moments standing on the podium singing the national anthem, I felt very special.



Currently, I am in Kingston, Jamaica racing an 800 Saturday May 9th. I leave next week for Shanghai, China (my first time ever to Asia!) for the IAAF Diamond League meeting. It should be a fast one! My race is Sunday, May 17. I hope to keep this blog updated as timely as possible throughout all of my travels this season, and my website should be up and running in the next week or so. Here, I will post my upcoming schedule, links to race videos and/or live feeds! Stay tuned! Until next time,
Blue skies from Jamaica :)

No comments:

Post a Comment